Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Envy, Racism and Poptarts

How does discussion of running around the track outside my apartment lead to racism and poptarts?
Just the mere fact that the infamous firefighter commandos were looping around the track at the same time. Yesterday morning I had to cut my run short because there was a big show in honor of the special day. So I made it up in the afternoon, which I have never done before.
As I went home from work, I could see that the firetrucks were parked in front of my apartment again, (at least they look exactly like firetrucks as I know them, but I could be wrong.) which meant the green dudes were on their afternoon run.
These firemen wear olive green clothes and I think I remember them sometimes wearing camouflage pants and jackets. But because it's hot, a big camouflage pile accumulates at one corner of the track as they shed them. This time most of them are rolling along in their green shorts.
I had never shared the track with them so I was scared, but they didn't react in any way that I noticed to my intrusion. I think I went around once before running upstairs to put on more sunscreen. My skin doesn't tan. I just reddens. My track buddies, though, have all developed really nice color. I rounded the track trying to decide what color it was. My first thought was the frosting on the cinnamon poptarts, which made me nostalgic for my childhood and hungry at the same time. My second thought was coffee ice cream melting. "Ah, cinnamon people...is it racist to think about people that way?" and I went on to think about how my skin looks a lot like steamed bread. Feels like tofu. I spent the rest of my laps intentionally not looking at the firefighters since anyone watching would probably assume I was ogling them. It's really hard to explain that I used to be a painter and a lot of times I just see bodies as art.

1 comment:

Laura said...

baby rachael! i loved your descriptions of the everyone. :)