Friday, December 4, 2009

All I can think about

Hmmm. What do you do when your brain gets focused on one thing too much? I had a great discussion about my mom and siblings with my mentor the other day.
Something that stood out for me was the concept of thoughts getting stuck in a circuit and impeding growth. My mom never had a chance to grow up, possibly because her mind was doing laps around the same thing over and over again, and never moving forward in reality.
When I find myself going back to an old train of thought, I remember that and feel even more exhorted to leave it alone as I've already dealt with it, or take it once again to the only one that can really clean it up.

In other news, I'm thinking a lot about my future in China and how badly I want to go back.
I also just finished my novel, the first draft, that is. But it's the first draft that contains a complete story, organization and a reasonably easy rewrite-editing process. On december 15th, I'm going to allow myself to look at it again, read it again, and start editing.
For fact-checking purposes, I want to get a readable draft to my colleagues in China after the semester ends, but before they get caught up in whatever else is going on this winter.

As always, life is difficult, but it's also great.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Rachael, thanks for sharing! I certainly want to read your novel! I can't wait to see you!