Our shepherd allowed a guy who had is hand up for a long time during the talk (about first John and believing in the son) and it went haywire from there. The man, who's name was Maliku, wanted to disagree with the teaching in progress, quoting something from a chapter of the last book, the revealing book.
The shepherd was patient, and finally told Maliku to stop. When he wouldn't stop, Malik was told to leave. It took several of the men to get him to leave and ultimately had to involve law enforcement.
A lot of things came to mind for me: homelessness, madness, little wormwoods running around and controlling people, my sense of racism, and the reality of the city and the calling we have here.
I don't know anything about Maliku except that he fits my stereotype of a creepy homeless guy. He was talking to himself and in the class before fellowship time, he did participate and I don't remember what he had to say being very crazy. After years of living here, I tend to ignore the guys like Maliku, never making eye contact of trying to talk to them, and usually tuning out what they have to say.
I shouldn't have been surprised by what happened during the speaking time, but I was. It made it clear that even in our building, we can't assume ourselves completely safe.
Visitors from afar
-
I have lived the past 11 years away from family-- four years in Virginia,
two years in China, 3 years in Indiana, and now over a year and a half in
Califor...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment