I was next amazed at the way my relatives spend borrowed money on cars and home-beautifying.
I didn't even know how to explain that I'm not from here. I'm from the academic world, and also from the world of the committed believers. I consider myself successful for finishing my degree at a good research university without substantial help from anyone in my family. In fact, I supported myself more thoroughly and relied less on others than anyone I knew in college. I'm proud of being in the kiss-dating-goodbye school of thought and stuck to my convictions for five years so I could devote my time to learning and serving others.
Unfortunately, I seem to have remained weak, because the most frustrating thing about living in a different world like this is that other people see my success as failure, and that still bothers me. I know I shouldn't be upset by family members who look down on me, but I still do care.
That's been the fight this whole time and that's where I could use the most respectful (understanding, not pitying) support, especially intercession.
No comments:
Post a Comment