Alas, I didn't bring Jaylen with me, so no high-quality picture. I bet my people in China are jealous that I spent some hour and a half participating in a cake walk. I spent the whole time pondering how cake-walks are about the best social activity in the world. I fantasized organizing one in China. How?
There was a very cultural event called "harvest festival." that doubled as a halloween party. Cotton candy, popcorn, snowcones, hotdogs, hamburgers, clown activities and assorted carnival throw-things-and-win-candy games. Oh, and a moonwalk and minigolf. Man, I wanted to take pictures to show my future students and show them American life in a festival. That's how we do festivals. Oh, and hay-ride.
It was a community outreach of sorts done by the youth of a fellowship. The best part of it was spending it with a new unusual friend I met in Sunday school. She reminds me of my students with her longing for friendship and her age. She shared a lot about her family and the disabilities she's struggled with.
I hope that this new relationship can be one in which I can serve and help disciple her and practice having healthy boundaries with a fairly needy person. May it be discerning and healthy.
Oh and she loves cakewalks, too.
Visitors from afar
-
I have lived the past 11 years away from family-- four years in Virginia,
two years in China, 3 years in Indiana, and now over a year and a half in
Califor...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment