Saturday, October 10, 2009

I actually feel pity


Big Turtle! Crossing cultures in my native country. I "Carefront" You know, confronting because you care. It's hard, especially when you care a lot about people who don't hold to any doctrine, let alone a doctrine calling for humility and forgiveness. No call to admit wrongs, either. But I hold those doctrines, so I'll have to admit that I don't sincerely care about one of the people. Maybe that's my problem. But I'll need to think about that more.
What's important is that I live in a fishtank that doesn't call for forgiveness. It seems to push for vengeance instead. It's also a place where people don't talk about their feelings. I didn't do very well. My culture shock didn't reflect what I wanted it to, but hopefully my humility and response to my wrongdoings will.
And I feel sorry for this culture, because I know I will always be provided for, some how, that I'll have my most important need met. But I'm dealing with miserable people that think their hard work will earn them everything, not realizing everything could be taken away from them. And none of it will fulfill them anyway. It's materialism they follow, and it's killing them. But it will never kill me. So I feel sorry for them.

No comments: