Friday, October 23, 2009

My 300

I found it really amusing that I'm aiming for two checked bags of 50 pounds each plus a carry-on bag of fifty pounds. Altogether they'll weigh the same as I do, so I'll be responsible for getting 300 pounds total to my next destination. That's my three hundred.
I've spent the last six years of my life moving about twice a year. I'm really experienced at packing. I'm good at shedding things. With four years of going on retreats I'm good at running through a lightning checklist and throwing a back together. I can travel light. But I also travel heavy when I have to take everything I own with me. I've done it so many times.
No permanent address. No place I think of as home.
But that's just a reflection of our true plight here on Earth. This planet is not our home. Nothing on it will ever be enough to satisfy our hearts. And we can't take any of it with us. So my life is telling the truth. I don't have a home. None of us do here, and I don't even have the illusion of one.

No comments: